- City Government
- Training Coordinator
- Police Officer
Class Title: Police Officer (The position of police officer is a civil service position)
Department: Public Safety
General Purpose: Performs police patrol, investigation, traffic regulation, and related law enforcement activities.
Supervision Received: Works under the general supervision of a Police Sergeant.
Starting pay: $25,326.00/Year
- College Degree in Criminal Justice
- College Degree in unrelated field
Desired Minimum Requirements
1. Must be 21 years or older at the time of employment
2. Must possess, or be able to obtain by time of hire, a valid Mississippi driver's license without record of suspension or revocation in any state.
3. Must not have a felony conviction or a conviction of a misdemeanor involving moral turpitude, or having a disqualifying criminal history.
4. Must be a US citizen.
5. Must be an elector of the county in which he/she resides
6. Must be able to read and write the English language
7. Must be of good moral character and of temperate and industrious habits
8. Must complete requirements and be certified by Mississippi Board on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Training during the first year of employment.
Education and Experience
1. High school diploma or GED equivalent, and
2. Completion of one (1) year probation, or
3. An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Some knowledge of modern law enforcement principles, procedures, techniques, and equipment
2. Some skill in operating the tools and equipment listed
3. Ability to learn the applicable laws, ordinances, and department rules and regulations, ability to perform work requiring good physical condition, ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, peers, and supervisors; ability to exercise sound judgment in evaluating situations and in making decisions; ability to follow verbal and written instructions; ability to learn the city's geography.
Tools and Equipment
Police car, police radio, radar gun, handgun and other weapons as required, side handle baton, handcuffs, intoxilyzer, pager, first aid equipment, laptop computers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Works shift performing security patrols, traffic control, investigation, and first aid at accidents, detection, investigation and arrest of persons involved in misconduct.
Works assigned shift using own judgment in deciding course of action; expected to handle difficult and emergency situations without assistance.
Maintains normal availability by radio or telephone for consultation on major emergencies.
Carries out duties in conformance with Federal, State, County, and City laws and Ordinances.
Patrols city streets, parks, commercial and residential areas to preserve the peace and enforce the law; controls vehicular traffic; prevents, detects and investigates misconduct involving misdemeanors, felonies and other law violations; and to otherwise serve and protect.
Responds to emergency radio calls and investigates accidents, robberies, civil disturbances, domestic disputes, fights, drunkenness, missing children, prowlers, abuse or drugs, etc...; takes appropriate law enforcement action.
Interrogates suspects, interview witnesses and drivers; preserves evidence; arrest violators, investigates and renders assistance at scene of vehicular accidents; summons ambulances and other law enforcement vehicles; takes measurements and draws diagrams of scene.